Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tomorrow's my last day!?

Today was crazy in its own way. A person from another group NOT at our
guesthouse got the same intestinal bug I had last week (and which has
been passed around too much for anyone's liking...rotovirus?) and we
ended up taking him to the hospital this morning. He wasn't willing to
be admitted so he was on a cot in our tiny 'office' taking up the
little private space we have. I didn't get into why he didn't go
upstairs, and just made the best of it.

The pack of 'girls' staying at the rehab center crack me up. They are
dropped off here in the morning and stay until the afternoon. We see
them intermittently for one on one therapy, the prosthetists work on
adjusting their new legs, and we have them doing stretches, exercises,
and practice gait on their own. They do work pretty hard but there is
a certain amount of sitting around. They always want their picture
taken and they get reliably whiny in the afternoon near the end of the
day when it's hot. I will miss them, they've kept us so busy this week.

Mary, a translator who I just met today, recognized my accent when
speaking Creole was French, and even complimented me on my "beautiful"
pronounciation! Madame Tanny would be so proud!

I am not really grasping that tomorrow is my last day, and nearly
forgot to say 'au revoir' to Madame Shaller, the peds therapist! I am
happy that everyone, including some of the patients I've follow all
three weeks, have asked when I'm coming back. I'm very pleased that
June and Advantage Haiti want me to come back.

I'm familiar enough with trips like this that really change me to know
I won't digest even half of what this experience has done for me for a
few months. What I do know, I've been touched and changed by these
three weeks. It's given me an expanded view of what I need to do in
the world, and has recharged my spirit. I've seen how healthcare, and
physical therapy in particular, can make significant differences in
peoples' lives, even when those lives are already so challenged. I've
also met people, both volunteers and patients and their families, that
have been pure inspiration. It's an experience like no other, and I'm
so happy that I stepped up to challenge myself to do this. And can't
wait to do it again!

Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

joannabanana said...

Great story in Today in PT. I would love to contact the therapist at PT for Humanity, in fact they will very close to me. However there website is not up and running. Could you pass my email on to them. I worked for Health Volunteers in St. Lucia and I have volunteered in Africa. I am interested in going to Haiti next May when I finish my tDPT program.
thank you for you help
Joannacarmella@yahoo.com

Post a Comment