Monday, July 19, 2010

Long day

Today was a long day. There were 3 of us in the clinic today and we
were busy all day until nearly 4:30. Loads of interesting cases, but
by far the most unusal was a 6 month old girl with developmental delay
(minimal head control, no real trunk control, and loads of missed
milestones) who was born without patellas. We had photos from when she
was born and radiographs--her knees were bent the wrong direction!
Today we started to make her some splints, as she's now got much more
normal range of motion, and we are trying to see if the Brazilian
ortho surgeon who is in the area once a month can see her.
My stubborn yet hilarious teen with the non-healing foot surgery
looked better today. Still a lot of debriding, but I think one of the
three open areas on his foot is nearly healed and the other two are
looking better.

Still doing a lot of screening and some triage/education. Today
another lady presented with osteoarthritis. Not much I could do for
her, but she seemed to appreciate being examined and the basic
education for how to manage her knee pain, telling me God would bless
me for my hard work. Such small things I can provide, and everyone is
so happy to receive them. It's very humbling.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment