Friday, July 23, 2010

I'm already waxing nostalgic

I had crafted a great entry, only to have my iPhone erase it without
sending, so here I go at recreating it...

I wish I had a way to share the sounds and smells. I'm out on the back
patio listening to the crickets, hearing the random rooster who
doesn't understand what time it is, the goats and the sheep, and the
neighbors dogs fighting. As for smells--the ever present smell of
cooking charcoal, fried foods, and that jungley wet smell from all the
rain.

I'm already thinking about how much I will miss all my patients and
coworkers. And to see such progress in such a short time!

I won't miss the regrets that I have daily about the tragic health
issues I've seen that would have been addressed so easily. I've got at
least 3 or 4 patients that would not be having healing problems (from
wounds and skin to fractures) if they had better nutrition and food.
Things that could be prevented if conditions here weren't so terrible.

I know how crazy this sounds but I know I'm coming back. There's such
a genuine need, the people are so gratious, and there's so much work
to do. And I'm finding it challenging and rewarding, and you know how
that always motivates me.

Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your words continue to inspire me, Sharon (tearing up while I read these posts). You go, girl! ~Amanda

Who: Sharon said...

Amanda,
thanks for the comment and thanks for following. Now you know how I felt reading your emails from NOLA this last spring. Right back at you re:inspiration!
Sharon

Post a Comment