Monday, July 26, 2010

Tired, and satisfied

Today was another long Monday. The morning was crazy, but we made it
through and I felt happy to get back to the guesthouse by 5:30.

Rita got one of her two external fixators off last week, and after
some coaxing and cajoling took her first steps on her healed femur
(awful alignment, but adequate callous) and ex fixed opposite tibia
(good alignment but poor callous) since the earthquake. I could have
cried.

I also got a kiss goodbye from a sweet girl who was burned in the
earthquake after workin with her today. She had oil spill on her arm
and leg which then caught fire. Many of the usually interested
patients and family members seemed horrified by her arm burns. I think
she appreciated me not seeming to care, and that for her leg I played
follow the leader to get her to hop and skip and jump. It was nice to
see her smile and play a bit after being so serious when she had been
waiting.

Didn't get to redress the wound with the modified wound vac--the
patient pulled it all out last night! We were considering changing it
anyway, but she made that decision for us.

Tried to read a set of pelvic radiographs today, and was pleased I
didn't miss anything. Too bad with three visible fractures, a poor
central view, and the limited follow up available in homes here she
ended up being admitted.

Today begins the segregating of the dirty laundry, since I've hit the
point where I have enough clean things to make it through my trip.
Thing I'm glad I brought: sleep sack, headlamp, bandanas. Things I
didn't need to bring: tevas and flip flops, extra bug repellent, hat.
Things I wish I had brought: larger deodorant (travel size usually
works for 3 weeks, but not here, good thing Cheryl left hers for me
this week), another book to read (borrowed some ones, will need to buy
one for the flight home).

Worst news today...3 members of the group that left on Friday got sick
with this 'thing' and had to spend the night in Miami at the hospital
before makin it home! I am now thankful I got it last week and was
just sick for a day. No hospital, here or at home, and nothin too bad.
Whew!

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment