Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sunday in Haiti

First things first...Haitians go all out on Sunday. Best clothes, best
hair, best food. They also have really long church services. Two hour
minimum at the Baptist church I went to this morning. The sing a lot
of sings, some in Creole and some in French, the hymnals have a
section for each language! I understood most of the songs (it helped
that I borrowed a hymnal and could read the words, you have to bring
your own the church doesn't have them in the pews) and some of the
sermon (at least until the preacher got excited and started using more
Creole).

I then was invited to lunch with one of the missionary groups at a
local missionaries house-we had pizza. Not bad, and since she's German
she had tuna pizza. Sounds gross but tastes like an open face tuna
melt on pizza crust.

Then we drove out to another beach in Port St. Louis. It threatened to
storm and was windy, but the ocean was warm and the waves were great
for body surfing. June was thoughtful enough to get me a beer when I
was in the water, so it was a restful afternoon.

Back to work at the clinic tomorrow. A PT who was here for 4 weeks in
April arrived last night and will be here with me for the next two
weeks. Should be fun!

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment