Friday, July 30, 2010

Sad, last day

Today's been sad.  I'm glad it was busier than I thought it might be, as that kept the goodbyes to a minimum and kept them quicker.

Rose, who had a bad fracture in the earthquake, got her orthotic lift and shoe lift fitted today.  I will admit, I gave her my tennis shoes.  She was nearly my size, and since she didn't have any tennis shoes to build up to fix her length length problem. She was so cute smiling and wearing her new shoes and saying how she didn't feel crooked anymore!

I just returned from a little celebration for my departure--a prayer, thank you's, cake and soda.  I even got a beautiful Haitian painting of a landscape scene.  So touching, and yes--I did cry.

I also had a patient bring me a gift, a small Haitian carving.  He was such a hard worker and such a fun patient.  I still have to say goodbye to my dear Mr. Bernard upstairs.  He had hoped to be walking better by the time I left, but had a stump revision last week, and has been adorable doing his arm exercises in his wheelchair.

I am so grateful that I came, and I'm so touched. Everyone has been so warm and welcoming.  I can't wait to return next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment