Thursday, July 28, 2011

Safely in back in Port au Prince

Five hours to get from Cayes to PaP--pretty much the same as last time, but with a bit more drama.  It probably didn't help that I was more awake this trip (still sleep deprived, but not going on 36 hours of being awake like the trip out to Cayes).  Interesting traffic-related drama I can remember includes:
  1. Donkey running away from owner right in front of our Land Cruiser when we were going about 60 mph.  
  2. Road shared with the following: people and children walking, motorbikes with up to 4 or 5 people on them sometimes with no helmets, cars, trucks, mac trucks, tap taps (mini vans or trucks that act like buses STUFFED with people and sometimes with stuff stacked on top), vendors selling stuff, rocks, debris, donkeys, and we even saw a guy in a wheelchair.
  3. My neck is handling all the driving sitting in the back of the Land Cruiser facing sideways remarkable well.  Better than my backside, in fact.
  4. Swerving around while honking is how you pass here.  The road is only two lanes (if that).  Read #2 again and imagine that.
  5. Ate half a 'sandwiche fromage' at the truck stop.  Reminded me of pannini at the train station in Europe, since it was toasted and melty. Hasn't made me sick yet, and highly recommended.
We had super big thunderstorm lasting all night last night, so sorry for no update.  I did add some photos over on FB (open account, anyone can view): http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2215388714051.2130245.1527584939&l=aea6c348d4&type=1

If I get motivated tonight, I may put the ones I took at Bonne Fin and the ride out here to PaP up tonight.  Turns out I leave tomorrow for Deschappelles (thank goodness for international phone service so I could get that phone call while we were on the road) and on to Hopital Albert Schweitzer.  Cannot wait!

PaP (Port au Prince) is depressing and hopeful.  There were signs of rebuilding, but also a lot of trash and rubble and poverty.  And that's just what I saw from the road.  Also, lots of UN and UNICEF trucks.  The MTI Team House here is amazing--very nice, swanky by Haiti standards.  I don't know about the armed guard at the gate, I suppose it's necessary but it's a reminder of how safe I felt in Cayes and how potentially unsafe PaP can be.

Well, looks like rain is coming and sounds like there may be distant thunder.  The breeze is certainly nice, and the humidity here doesn't seem as bad.  Looking forward to being TIRED tonight and sleeping in an air conditioned room.  The adventure begins again tomorrow.  I don't know how able I will be to update from Deschappelles, so these may be short (via text).  

No comments:

Post a Comment