Monday, July 25, 2011

One of my patients with his Papa.
It's the small luxuries--a quick shower before bed, fans blowing on you, fresh grenadia (passion fruit juice)--that make up for the living conditions and sad stories. I will admit I am thankful for my electric toothbrush, and while it seems extravagant, it makes a nice end to a grueling day.

Tomorrow it's up into the mountains to Bonne Fin to see the large hospital there and consult on some patients. I can't believe it's almost time to leave Cayes ad head back to the crazy "civilization" of Port au Prince before heading to Deschappelles!

I almost forgot the craziest thing that happened today--I was sitting on this small stool to work wit a gentleman's ankle, stood up and picked up the stool to find  a tarantula under it! A live, hairy, big brown tarantula! I didn't scream, but gasped and pointed and then put the stool back over it to keep it from walking anywhere near me. I then made Berto (one of our translators) take it outside. Carmen found it's friend later in the back room. Crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment