Friday, July 15, 2011

First day on a Friday is good!

First working day in Haiti went really well. The other two PTs here, who just got married 3 weeks ago, are awesome! Just that right attitude to jump in there and go for it, tempered with a healthy dose of respect for another culture. I am looking forward to what could be a great 2 weeks!

Saw some familiar faces today, mostly staff at the clinic. There were 2 patients from last year. One was here today for a prosthetic adjustment with the prothetists, but recognized me right off and gave me a big hug. The other was one of my favorite patients who was unfortunately back with an amputation to his remaining foot that hasn't been healing well. He was the older gentleman who made me practice my French who had a poorly healing tibial amputation last year. Diabetes is terrible at home, but here with the less than hygienic living arrangements and dust or mud everywhere outside, it is even worse.

Growth area for me today-- treated a sweet girl with what I presume was CP. Even got her to count and name colors for me by the end of the session, which was great as she was a bit afraid of the 'blanc' when we started.

I am also pleased (probably way too pleased) to announce that I seem to have remembered a bunch of my PT Kreyol/French from last year! We've got translators, but I do like being able to ask simple questions and give simple directions on my own.

Marvin and Carmen, the two prothetists here, took us for a short hike around the village, out to the river, and by the local market this afternoon. I had forgotten how miserable the heat and humidity are, but think I'm almost used to sweating constantly again. Hiking in it was awful, but the great views of the mountains and the interested stares of the locals help take my mind off the heat.

It's been a wonderful 41st birthday here in Haiti!

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment