Sunday, July 17, 2011

Port Salut and serious chillin'

Back from a gorgeous day over in Port Salut.  The ride was nice, through the countryside and over the mountain to the southern coast of Haiti, a bit farther west than Les Cayes.  We went to the same beach I celebrated my 40th birthday at last year. It's a beautiful beach, very shallow with great blues and greens and white sand.  Had the lobster with frites again (because you don't mess with a good thing), and some of the local Prestige beer.  Gotta love Haiti time--we ordered right when we got there at about 10:45 am and were told it would take 35 minutes.  A little of 2.5 hours later, voila lunch!

What I learned today...part of the reason Port Salut is so pretty and developed (it even has a bit of a tourist trade with 3 hotels on the beach) is because this is where Aristide was from.  He had a private airstrip so he could fly here for weekends when he was dictator.  The UN now uses the airstrip for helicopters. 

I swam a bunch, read a bit (thank you Kindle, for handling the sun so wonderfully), had some more beer, practiced my French with Harold (our driver), practiced my Spanish with Carmen, and otherwise had a great day.  Also got to listen to the Women's World Cup final match in the car on the way home.  I loved how the announcer was speaking French but when anything exciting would happen he would slip into Kreyol.  Hee.  From what I caught, it was exciting to the end.  Too bad for the US, but at least it was a great game.  I also loved driving past small, cinder block houses to see people all crowded at the doors and windows watching the game on the few TVs that people have hear, as well as hearing all the radios turned up with the game. 

I'm a bit uncomfortable right now.  I've got a bunch of bites from something (I don't think mosquitoes) and have added a bit of a sunburn on my shoulders and upper back.  Whatever.  It was a great day.  I did take photos, so I will try to upload those later tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment